Senior Sides Struggle in Crucial Games

TAs have suffered a disappointing loss to North Fremantle, going down by 35 points in overcast conditions at Gil Fraser.

Heading into the game buoyed by some strong recent performances, the side weathered an early NF onslaught in the first 10 minutes, and after getting their link up game going through the middle of the ground, was able to put 6 goals on the board in what was a lively first term from both sides.

The second quarter was played in stark contrast to the first term, with NF able to stifle the sides ball movement, meaning entries into the TAs forward line were slow and shallow. Meanwhile at the other end, the dangerous NF key forwards were proving a handful for the TAs defence, and were able to match the TAs first quarter with a 6 goal term. Heading  into the half, NF held a slim 8 point margin in what had been a very entertaining half of footy.

Looking to come out and stamp its authority on the game in the third quarter, TAs were able to generate enough possession, however some sloppy ball use moving forward made it difficult to capitalise. Meanwhile some poor discipline and sloppy turnovers were punished by NF, who were able to extend their lead out to 14 points at the last break.

The side continued to battle away manfully in the last, however the more precise skill level from NF ultimately resulted in a 4 goal to 1 quarter for the home side, pushing the final margin out to 35 points.
It was a disappointing result for the Group given the start to the game, but in the end the greater skill level from the opposition proved the difference between the two sides. Despite the result, there was some good performers across the ground, with big man Damon Guinness & Timothy ‘Waspie’ Watkins putting in 4 quarter performances, whilst down back Matt Rodan & Hayden Fancote battled to the end.

Next week the side travels out the Showgrounds to take on Wanneroo in a game of great significance, with plenty at stake for both clubs.

TAs        9.8        62
NF         15.7      97

It’s a Bittersweet, Footy

In a tale of two halves 4thv 5thlived up to the billing and produced a hard-fought, exciting game, culminating in an exasperating draw with North Fremantle. Having the lead, with just under 2 minutes to go, the ball was in our forward line and we were unable to contain North Freo and they managed to muster a set shot 35m out to draw level. As they say, the rest is history and we were made to lament missed opportunities and ponder life’s mysteries as we sat with the result for 12 minutes after the game (team phone ban).

Like a bull out of the gate, we started well for the 7thgame in a row and really put it to them early creating a number of easy chances we just couldn’t capitalise on. Our backline, in the absence of general VC “Big Fanny”, was strong propelling most of their attacks forward as North had a slight 1-2 goal breeze in the first. 11 I50’s to them and only 5 to us we created 4 scoring shots to their 2, again showing a potent forward line working together. Big mentions must go to Tom “get out my Way” Newman and Marc “moof jr” Mather as both were courageous after receiving big hits, they shook it off and got straight back up to help the team. Such was the nature of the game early, both teams were fierce for the ball and man.

We put the foot down from there and kicked 4 goals to 1 in the second displaying some electric football to set ourselves up for the second half. 2 goals to 4B (Big Bad Bustling Buster) and singles to Jackson “what time is it” Flematti and Bruiser Russell helped the team kick away to a four-goal lead, finishing off some ball movement and team defence of the highest order if only the coach could take a leaf out of their book. Half the job done, we were brimming with confidence we could run over the top of them and help our finals cause.

As good sides do, North Freo fought back on their home deck and gave us a taste of our own medicine. Slamming on 4 goals to 0 and probably very unlucky to not kick a few more North Fremantle surged to a 2-point lead heading into the final quarter. Centre clearance dominance for them lead to a number of quick entries, leaving our defenders 1 on 1 and vulnerable. 13 I50’s to 4 tells us they lifted their work rate significantly and we were unable to halt momentum, which is something we have been working on and doing quite well. The break came and the stage set. Tough games like this unite and inspire a team and in my mind winning these types of games lights the candle for that deep love you have for footy.

We didn’t get that win but having some extra couple days to sit and think upon further reflection we can look at this for inspiration going forward. Yes, we gave up a 4-goal lead, however we stood tall in the last and after North Freo kicked the first we grit our teeth and did the dirty work to fight our way back in front. Bomber “matty scarlett” Franich took a great mark in the square and later on produced a deft touch to Eoghan “king” Mcelwee to help set up a goal to put us in front. Jordy Alvaro showed extreme courage none to dissimilar to Liam Ryan on the weekend going back with the flight late in the last and is worth mentioning as that is one of the hardest and most courageous things you can do. From there on squandering a number of chances to put the game away, we left North Freo with the slightest of hope and they duly saluted, in the end probably creating a just result. Resolve and resilience was learnt on the weekend as we know we can fight back and if we fix a couple situation things we will get better in certain game situations.

3 games left and with Scarborough losing on the weekend the equation is simple. Win 2 out of 3 games and we are in. There are no easy games in football, however I am supremely confident that the team can work hard and continue to show the mental fortitude to step up in the big situations and help make this a fruition. We are away next week to Wanneroo, in what looms as an intriguing match-up, heading up to the showgrounds we look to continue our 5-week losing streak.

North Fremantle 8.9- 57

Trinity Aquinas 8.9- 57

Goal Scorers: Campbell Hunter 3, Simon Franich 2, Ben Russell 1, Fraser Hudson 1, Jackson Flematti 1

Best: Tom Newman, Marc Mather, Max Vining, Bryce Mcrae-Lea, Jordan Busher


Thirds Fall Short to Table Toppers CBC

Win today and play finals was the message for the Thirds today and after going against the breeze in the 1st quarter TA’s found themselves behind by 6 points which were the 6 behinds CBC failed to convert with each team kicking a major throughout the quarter. Which was mostly TA’s defending for dear life our back 6 led by Aaron Zucconi and TA’s champion stalwart Stu McGowan they made sure if CBC were to have shots they weren’t going to be easy chances.

Second quarter with the breeze at our backs and the rain looking to show its face for the second half we knew we had to capitalise here and now. With TA’s controlling the majority of the quarter in their front half with manic pressure and physical presence on the ground led by Will Colreavy and Jason Ogg we couldn’t make the most of the breeze only kicking 2 goals while still conceding 1. However still leading at Halftime and feeling like we had much of the momentum we knew this whole game would be an arm wrestle.

Start of the Third and the message was make the most of our opportunities and 2 way running. The effort and endeavour was there all quarter but costly errors by foot led to 2 certain CBC goals which really put the pressure on. VC Rob Faraone came to the party slotting an important goal near the ¾ time siren with a beautiful set shot from the boundary which kept us within 6 points going into the finale change.

The boys knew finals were on the line and what better situation to be put in then trailing the top side by 6 points into the last. Sure enough they lifted another gear and once again Gun Full Forward rose to the occasion kicking his 4th goal for the game tying everything up at 41 a piece with 12 minutes to go. A missed opportunity 2 minutes later led to TA’s taking a 1 point lead. Insert the rain and a quick goal to CBC

In what was an old fashioned arm wrestled by both teams in the 80 minutes CBC was just that little more composed and discipline which led to a 13 point win. But with many great signs from the game and a bye to come this weekend to refresh the team is poised for one last dash heading into finals.

TA’s 6.6.42          CBC 7.13.55

4; McLeod

1; McGowan, Faraone.

Best; S.McGowan, A,Zucconi, T.Whyte, J.Ogg, T.Steele.

Fours Finally Get Big Scalp.

Finals start now was the message from Coach Sam as they took on CBC. With Mt Lawley and Whitfords breathing down the neck of TA’s sitting in that last finals spot there was no room for error.

With Sam backing his players to play their brand of footy they came out and threw the first punch by kicking the first major inside the 2 minute mark of the game. With the rest of the quarter becoming a real arm wrestle CBC managed to fight back for their first major before TA’s responded within the minute to put the gap back at 6 points going into the first change.

The second quarter was nothing but a genuine slog fest with both teams only kicking one goal a piece with TA’s coming from a fantastic a individual effort from KK.

The TA’s back line was a fortress all quarter led by the experienced Toby De Lacy and running half backs of Beau Salvia and Captain Michael Murray they restricted almost very entry CBC tried while with the breeze which helped lead TA’s to a 4 point halftime lead.

Sam’s message to the boys at halftime was use the breeze and put this game away right here and now.

Sure enough that’s what happened. With the backline proving the difference in the quarter restricting CBC to a solidary point. Mick ‘Grylla’ Grylls and Toby De Lacy yet again leading that charge. In what was a scrappy quarter TA’s managed to get some clean corridor ball movement and kicking 2 goals for the quarter and putting some much needed breathing room going into the last change.

With a 17 point lead and a chance to finally topple a top 4 side Sam implored the boys to keep attacking and not only get the 4 points but make it comprehensive. The first 5 minutes was all CBC and finally the TA’s defence broke but for the only time of the second half for CBC to register a major and bring the margin to 10 points.

Insert the Gatorade Game Changer. In the very next centre bounce the TA’s young stars come to the party with Jarrod Ng winning the biggest contested ball of the day and beating 2 CBC opponents which led to the ball getting out to Aaron Skinner who broke loose for 2 bounces down the wing leading to a deep Inside 50m which gave KK his second goal of the game and completely deflating the CBC team and any chance they had of making a comeback.

With some results needing to go our way, Sam and the 4’s have given themselves every chance to play finals heading into a much needed break this weekend before 1 last dash towards finals.

TA’s 9.7.61          CBC 4.7.31

2; Maher, KK

1; Hindle, Pugl, Ng, Bukauskas

Best; Grylls, De Lacy, KK, Randazzo, Panizza.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s